MAXIMISE THE CONTRIBUTION OF THE PHYSICAL ACTIVITY AND SPORT SECTOR TO ECONOMIC GROWTH ACROSS GREATER MANCHESTER.
The total economic impact of sport in Greater Manchester is £1,245 million.
What have we done?
The last 12 months has seen a record amount of investment into activity in Greater Manchester. Some new funding includes:
- £10 million – Local Delivery Pilot. Greater Manchester is one of 12 places chosen by Sport England to work on a new approach to build healthier, more active communities across England. Around £100 million of National Lottery funding will be invested in the pilot scheme over four years, to create innovative partnerships that make it easier for people in these communities to access sport and physical activity.
- £2 million – Walking project. An extra £2m from the region’s devolved health body was granted to help make Greater Manchester the country’s first walking city region. Public sector organisations have been urging nurseries, schools, universities and workplaces to adopt the Daily MileTM – a free and fun initiative where children and adults run, jog or walk for fifteen minutes every day.
- £1 million – Active Ageing programme. Greater Manchester were successful in their application for a £1 million investment to work across the county to support older adults in moving more. Overall, the programme will work with over 4,500 older adults who will hopefully experience some of the benefits of being physically active.
- £220,000 - The Daily Mile. Sport England investment to provide a designated resource to support Schools in signing up to The Daily Mile.
- £320,000 - Moving Forces. Working with TASC (Tameside Armed Services Community) GreaterSport were successful in being awarded this investment from Sport England for a three-year programme supporting Greater Manchester veterans. The programme aims to provide veterans with an opportunity to be active in their transition to civilian life and into later life in order to benefit from the physical and mental benefits of activity and socialising with other veterans.
In the last 12 months;
- 35% of funding GreaterSport received went directly to partners in GM to deliver projects and programmes to get people more active this year.
- GreaterSport’s economic impact contribution to GM (GVA) was £3.1 million.